Friday 22 August 2014

Strawberry Block - A Tutorial

After the joy of participating in my first swap I couldn't help joining in when The Strawberry Swap opened up on Instagram. I mean, strawberries! What's not to love! As part of my gift for this swap I drafted a large scrappy strawberry block (shown below) to use on a cushion and I thought it would be fun to share how I made it.


The best part about this block is it uses scraps! The pinks (or reds) can be cut from any number of different fabrics (I used 5). For the calyx (green bit) I used three different green fabrics (A, B, and C) to create the definition of the different leaves and stem. The block finishes at 7.5 in by 10.5 in.

Cutting:
PINK
GREEN
WHITE
17 x 2in squares
3 x 2.5in squares
2 x 2.5in squares from print A
2 x 2.5in squares from print B
2 x 2in squares from print C
4 x 2in squares
5 x 2.5in squares



Assembly:
Our first job is to turn the 2.5 in squares into half square triangles (HST). Take the 5 white 2.5 in squares and one of the Green Print A 2.5 in squares and draw a diagonal line across each square from one corner to the opposite one.


Pair the marked squares with the unmarked ones. NOTE: the marked Green Print A square should be paired with a Green Print B square.


Sew the squares together a scant quarter inch from your guide line. When you reach the end turn the square around and sew a scant quarter inch from the guideline on the other side.


You should have two seam lines each a scant quarter inch from the guide line.


Cut along the guide line, dividing your square into two triangles each with a seam.


Press. I like to press my seams open as it keeps everything lying flat and keeps the seams from getting too bulky.


It's likely that your HST will be a little large so trim them down to 2 in square. Line up the 45 degree line on your ruler with the diagonal line of the HST and trim two of the edges.


Rotate the HST 180 degrees making sure to line up the already trimmed edges with the 2 inch line on the ruler. Trim the remaining two edges.


You should end up with 12 HST.

Arrange all 2 in squares and HST as shown in the picture below.


Assemble the block using a quarter inch seam. First sew the squares into rows and press the seams.


Then sew the rows together matching the seams in each row to create the final block. Press seams.


And you're done! If you have any questions please feel free to ask in the comments and I will answer there. If you do make a strawberry I'd love to see it. Leave a link to your finished block in the comments or if you post to Instagram tag me @skyberries. Enjoy!

15 comments:

  1. I couldn't help myself. I made some strawberries.
    http://sewtodaycleantomorrow.blogspot.com.au/2014/08/strawberry-quilt-block.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this tutorial. These strawberries are so cute and I am looking forward to making some in near future. Thanks a million!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a fabulous block. Great tutorial. Going to add it to my must-make-list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. gorgeous and great tutorial too !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 2016 is the year of the strawberry in quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made one. Thank you. I posted it on my Facebook page, Quilting Time in Dixie. pj

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Bec! I saw the strawberry first at Katherine's S'ew Me Something Good' and love it so much that I just finished small quilt top with that. Thank for the tutorial! I'm just writing easy tutorial for the small quilt I'm making and I'm so happy to add a link to your tutorial so they have help to make also the strawberry. For that I didn't like to make tutorial as it wasn't my idea. It is the sweetest strawberry! x Teje www.nerospostbox.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Bec! I saw the strawberry first at Katherine's S'ew Me Something Good' and love it so much that I just finished small quilt top with that. Thank for the tutorial! I'm just writing easy tutorial for the small quilt I'm making and I'm so happy to add a link to your tutorial so they have help to make also the strawberry. For that I didn't like to make tutorial as it wasn't my idea. It is the sweetest strawberry! x Teje www.nerospostbox.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you very much! This is going to be the first quilt block I make. Starting right now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this strawberry block! I would like to make a smaller strawberry to put on a tea towel, however, I am new to quilting and don't know how to make this smaller? Can anyone help?

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you cut all the 2" pieces as 1.5" and all the 2.5" pieces as 2" and trim your HST to 1.5" you'll end up with a 5" x 7" strawberry! Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, makes perfect sense!! Thank you skyberries!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a post that keeps on giving! I saw it on Vicki's blog and had to come get directions to make my own. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete